SA Country Fire Service


SA Country Fire Service Logo

CFS will not issue permits for Christmas Day


It is now too late to get a permit from SA Country Fire Service (CFS) to use a solid fuel barbeque, such as a Weber for Christmas Day.

Permits are only required if a Total Fire Ban is issued for the Fire Ban District you live in, if it is not a Total Fire Ban on Christmas Day solid fuel barbeques can be used.

CFS Director Preparedness Operations, Leigh Miller said gas or electric cookers can still be used on a Total Fire Ban Day, if they are within 15 metres of a dwelling, have a four metre clearance around the cooker and a responsible person on hand with a way of extinguishing a fire should one start.

"Total Fire Bans for Christmas Day will be announced after 4pm on Saturday, December 24 – they will be available on the CFS website (," Mr Miller said.

"In the meantime we encourage people to think about alternatives, such as cooking with gas or electricity."

To obtain a permit you will need to contact your local Council but bear in mind many Council offices may be short staffed leading up to Christmas so it may not be possible to process.

Please do not reply to this email - this mailbox is not checked regularly.

For media enquiries telephone the CFS Media Line on (08) 8115 3531.

Further information:
Contact the Bushfire Information Hotline on 1800 362 361, for hearing or speech impaired users, phone 1300 555 727 then ask for 1800 362 361 or teletype service TTY 133 677 then ask for 1800 362 361.
Other options are available at National Relay Service.
Or visit

Check out our Facebook and share our messages

You received this email because at some point in the past you signed up to our mailing list. To unsubscribe from the CFS-SUBSCRIBERS list, click the following link:

CFS Taxi stripe graphic Government of South Australia