Message ID: 0004731
Time Message Issued: 10:16
Date Message Issued: 17/01/2020
Origin / Name: RAVINE
Incident Update for Ravine Fire on Kangaroo Island
ISSUED FOR RAVINE
A Bushfire Advice message is current for the Ravine fire on Kangaroo Island.
Milder temperatures with strong winds from the south south-east will likely cause localised flare-ups today.
Crews are continuing work on identifying and strengthening control lines around the fire edge and extinguishing hot spots ahead of forecast fire weather mid next week.
Planning is underway to undertake a backburn this afternoon in the area to the west of Vivonne Bay in order to provide protection to the community ahead of forecast wind changes next week.
Residents in this area need to be aware that should this burn take place that they may see smoke and that crews will be in attendance.
The CFS urges both residents and visitors to use extra caution when driving, even on familiar roads, as conditions may be different and fallen trees may be blocking the road. Damaged fences may result in wandering stock. Australian Defence Force personnel and KI Council crews are working across the island to clear roads.
The road from Kingscote to Seal Bay via Birchmore Rd and South Coast Rd has now opened for public access. The Playford Highway from Kingscote to Parndana is also open. There are still multiple road closures across the island. Please refer to www.traffic.sa.gov.au for the latest information.
The CFS continues to maintain a presence on the island, so please continue to be vigilant and follow our messaging.
For updates visit the CFS website (www.cfs.sa.gov.au) or phone the Bushfire Information Hotline on 1800 362 361.
This message will be updated as the situation changes or before: Jan 17 2020 16:00
WHAT TO DO:
- Check and follow your Bushfire Survival Plan
- Decide what you will do if the situation changes
- Look and listen for information on television, radio, internet, mobile phones and by speaking with neighbours
KEEP UP TO DATE:
- CFS website : cfs.sa.gov.au
- Bushfire Information Hotline 1800 362 361
- For hearing or speech impaired users, phone 1300 555 727 then ask for 1800 362 361
- For teletype service TTY 133 677
- CFS on Facebook or Twitter
- On local ABC radio, FIVEaa, or one of our other Emergency Broadcast Partners.
Do not rely on a single source for warning information.
For emergencies call Triple Zero (000)
End of Message