Message ID: 0004737
Time Message Issued: 15:27
Date Message Issued: 17/01/2020
Origin / Name: RAVINE
Incident Update for Ravine Fire on Kangaroo Island
ISSUED FOR RAVINE
The planned back burn that was due to be undertaken this afternoon to the west of Vivonne Bay has been postponed until Saturday when specialised resources are available and the weather conditions are more favourable.
This burn is to provide strategic protection for the township of Vivonne Bay ahead of forecast fire weather and wind changes next week.
Residents in this area need to be aware that should this burn take place that they may see smoke and fire and that crews will be in attendance.
There is a significant Australian Defence Force (ADF) presence on the island.
ADF personnel are undertaking a large range of tasks to assist the firefighting and recovery efforts including checking and clearing roads to allow residents to access their properties.
Throughout the fire area are pockets of unburnt vegetation and these are being prioritised for protection as they are refuge areas for wildlife that has survived the fire. Significant and arduous work is being undertaken to avoid backburning or creating mechanical breaks to protect areas of critical habitat.
For updates visit the CFS website (www.cfs.sa.gov.au) or phone the Bushfire Information Hotline on 1800 362 361.
This message will be updated as the situation changes or before: 18/01/2020 10:00
WHAT TO DO:
- Check and follow your Bushfire Survival Plan
- Decide what you will do if the situation changes
- Look and listen for information on television, radio, internet, mobile phones and by speaking with neighbours
KEEP UP TO DATE:
- CFS website : cfs.sa.gov.au
- Bushfire Information Hotline 1800 362 361
- For hearing or speech impaired users, phone 1300 555 727 then ask for 1800 362 361
- For teletype service TTY 133 677
- CFS on Facebook or Twitter
- On local ABC radio, FIVEaa, or one of our other Emergency Broadcast Partners.
Do not rely on a single source for warning information.
For emergencies call Triple Zero (000)
End of Message