Message ID: 0004748
Time Message Issued: 18:41
Date Message Issued: 18/01/2020
Origin / Name: RAVINE
Incident Update for Ravine Fire on Kangaroo Island
ISSUED FOR RAVINE
The planned burn scheduled for today (Saturday) started at approximately 4pm, and fire crews will be in attendance for some time. There will be smoke visible in the Vivonne Bay area.
It is a complex fire ground with a wide variety of vegetation types that have been impacted. There are smouldering pine needles in some pine plantations and specialist equipment using firefighting foam will be used to assist to extinguish fires in these areas. This will result in a white layer of foam being visible on the ground. People are advised not to touch or disturb the area.
Ground observers are checking on control lines and using thermal imaging cameras to identify hotspots.
Key safety messages are being provided to cruise ship passengers who will be on the Island on Sunday.
Though many roads across the fire ground are closed to the public, several key roads have reopened to assist the Island's tourism businesses to recover.
Anyone traveling on fire impacted roads need to be aware that road conditions have changed. Road safety signage has been destroyed across much of the fire ground.
Driving with care and caution at reduced speeds is essential for your safety.
Emergency services and Australian Defence Force personnel may be stationed at various road closures.
For updates visit the CFS website (www.cfs.sa.gov.au) or phone the Bushfire Information Hotline on 1800 362 361.
This message will be updated as the situation changes or before: Jan 19 2020 12:00
WHAT TO DO:
- Check and follow your Bushfire Survival Plan
- Decide what you will do if the situation changes
- Look and listen for information on television, radio, internet, mobile phones and by speaking with neighbours
KEEP UP TO DATE:
- CFS website : cfs.sa.gov.au
- Bushfire Information Hotline 1800 362 361
- For hearing or speech impaired users, phone 1300 555 727 then ask for 1800 362 361
- For teletype service TTY 133 677
- CFS on Facebook or Twitter
- On local ABC radio, FIVEaa, or one of our other Emergency Broadcast Partners.
Do not rely on a single source for warning information.
For emergencies call Triple Zero (000)
End of Message