Permit information

Fires/activities that can be undertaken without a permit

Under Sections 79 and 80 of the Fire and Emergency Services Act, 2005 and Fire and Emergency Services Regulations 2005 Sections 33 - 46, you are permitted to:

  • light fires for cooking and personal comfort
  • use gas fired appliances for cooking purposes
  • use electric welding equipment
  • use gas fires for other purposes

provided you meet the conditions that apply to their use. For more information see "What can I do/What can't I do?"


There are two types of permits that can be issued by an Authorised Officer:

  • Schedule 9 Permit - may be issued for fires or activities on days during the Fire Danger Season that are not Total Fire Ban days.
  • Schedule10 Permit - may be issued for fires or activities on days that are Total Fire Bans - these are intended for emergency use only.

To find your nearest Authorised Officer contact your local council.

You can apply to an Authorised Officer for a permit either in person, by mail, email, over the phone or via radio. The Authorised Officer will assess your permit application prior to issuing a permit.

The Authorised Officer is required to assess the permit application to ensure that:

  • they are satisfied that the lighting and maintaining of the fire is, in all circumstances justified; and
  • that adequate precautions will be taken to prevent the spread of fire.

Once the Authorised Officer is satisfied, they will issue you with a permit, a permit number and send you a copy. The conditions that you must comply with are included in the permit.


You must comply with the conditions included in the permit. In particular, you must notify the persons listed on the permit not less than 2 hours before you light or intend to light the fire.

You will need to notify:

  • all adjoining neighbours
  • an officer of the local council
  • the person in charge of any nearby government reserve
  • the local CFS Brigade.

These conditions may vary from area to area depending on the time of year and seasonal conditions. Full details will be provided on the permit by the Authorised Officer of the Council.

Should you require further information please contact your local council.