Fire Danger Season dates & permits
The Fire Danger Season dates have been declared for 2022/2023
The CFS Chief Officer has declared the following dates. They are published in the Government Gazette and the Public Notices section of The Advertiser before the declared date.
Restrictions on fires under the Fire and Emergency Services Act 2005 will apply throughout South Australia from the dates listed below.
|Fire Ban District||Start Date||Finish Date|
|Adelaide Metropolitan||1 December 2022||30 April 2023|
|Eastern Eyre Peninsula||1 November 2022||15 April 2023|
|Flinders||1 November 2022||15 April 2023|
|Kangaroo Island||1 December 2022||30 April 2023|
|Lower Eyre Peninsula||15 November 2022||15 April 2023|
|Lower South East||22 November 2022||30 April 2023|
|Mid North||15 November 2022||30 April 2023|
|Mount Lofty Ranges||1 December 2022||30 April 2023|
|Murraylands||15 November 2022||15 April 2023|
|North East Pastoral||1 November 2022||31 March 2023|
|North West Pastoral||1 November 2022||31 March 2023|
|Riverland||15 November 2022||15 April 2023|
|Upper South East||15 November 2022||15 April 2023|
|West Coast||1 November 2022||15 April 2023|
|Yorke Peninsula||15 November 2022||30 April 2023|
Fire on Government Reserves
Department for Environment and Water
- All open fires, liquid fuel and gas stoves are banned in all parks on Total Fire Ban days as declared by the CFS and broadcast on the radio. Parks may be closed to visitors on Total Fire Ban days.
- Department for Environment and Water (DEW) imposes fire restrictions to ensure the safety of visitors using the reserves, and to protect the reserves and neighbouring properties.
- For information on fire restrictions in National Parks, Wildlife Reserves and Wilderness Protection Areas visit the National Parks website.
DEW conducts prescribed burns as part of its fire management program. Prescribed burning is the controlled use of fire to a particular area of landscape. The aim is to strategically reduce fire fuel hazards in areas of South Australia's parks and reserves.
Fire restrictions and bans
- The lighting of fires is prohibited on ForestrySA Forest Reserves between 1 November and 30 April in any year. These dates may be extended where high fire danger persists.
- ForestrySA Forest Reserves are closed for public access on days of Total Fire Ban as declared by the CFS and broadcast on the radio. Daily Fire Ban information is posted on the CFS website and Facebook page.
Residue and prescribed burns
- ForestrySA conducts plantation forest residue burning and prescribed burning of native vegetation as part of its fire management program to strategically reduce fire fuel hazards for community protection.
- For more information visit ForestrySA.
Some activities are permitted to be undertaken during the Fire Danger Season provided that strict conditions are complied with. These activities include: using gas appliances for cooking, electric welders and angle grinders, and fires for cooking and personal comfort.
The use of above ground fires, such as chimineas, fire drums, braziers, are only permitted with the use of permits and compliance with conditions.
Wood Fire Pizza Ovens
- Outside - requires Schedule 10 Permit
- Inside dwelling (fully enclosed four walls and a roof, with spark arrester) - OK to use
Types of permits
There are two types of permits that can be issued by an Authorised Officer:
- Schedule 9 Permit - may be issued for fires or activities on days during the Fire Danger Season that are not Total Fire Ban days.
- Schedule10 Permit - may be issued for fires or activities on days that are Total Fire Bans - these are intended for emergency use only.
To find your nearest Authorised Officer contact your local council.
You can apply to an Authorised Officer for a permit either in person, by mail, email, over the phone or via radio. The Authorised Officer will assess your permit application before issuing a permit.
The Authorised Officer is required to assess the permit application to ensure that:
- they are satisfied that the lighting and maintaining of the fire is in all circumstances justified
- adequate precautions will be taken to prevent the spread of fire.
Once the Authorised Officer is satisfied they will issue you with a permit and a permit number. The conditions that you must comply with are included in the permit.
For any theatrical fire effects or pyrotechnic (fireworks) displays the only authority that can issue a Permit to light or maintain a fire is the CFS.
You must comply with the conditions included in the permit.
In particular, not less than 2 hours before you light or intend to light the fire, you must notify:
- all adjoining neighbours
- an officer of the local council
- the person in charge of any nearby government reserve
- the local CFS Brigade.
Conditions may vary from area to area depending on the time of year and season.
Full details will be provided on the permit by the Authorised Officer of the Council. For further information contact your local council.
Some councils have limited staff and Authorised Officers may not be available due to leave or other commitments.
|Adelaide, City of||Metro Council||No|
|Adelaide Hills Council||Regional Council||Yes|
|Adelaide Plains Council||Regional Council||Yes|
|Alexandrina Council||Regional Council||Yes|
|Barossa Council, The||Regional Council||Yes|
|Barunga West Council||Regional Council||Yes|
|Berri Barmera Council||Regional Council||Yes|
|Burnside, City of||Metro Council||Yes|
|Campbelltown City Council||Metro Council||Yes|
|Ceduna, District Council of||Regional Council||Yes|
|City of Charles Sturt||Metro Council||No|
|Clare and Gilbert Valleys Council||Regional Council||Yes|
|Cleve, District Council of||Regional Council||Yes|
|Coober Pedy, District Council of||Regional Council||Yes|
|Coorong District Council||Regional Council||Yes|
|Copper Coast Council||Regional Council||Yes|
|Elliston, District Council of||Regional Council||Yes|
|Flinders Ranges Council, The||Regional Council||No|
|Franklin Harbour, District Council of||Regional Council||Yes|
|Gawler, Town of||Regional Council||Yes|
|Goyder, Regional Council of||Regional Council||Yes|
|Grant, District Council of||Regional Council||Yes|
|Holdfast Bay, City of||Metro Council||No|
|Kangaroo Island Council||Regional Council||Yes|
|Karoonda East Murray, District Council of||Regional Council||Yes|
|Kimba, District Council of||Regional Council||Yes|
|Kingston District Council||Regional Council||Yes|
|Light Regional Council||Regional Council||Yes|
|Lower Eyre Peninsula, District Council of||Regional Council||Yes|
|Loxton Waikerie, District Council of||Regional Council||Yes|
|Marion, City of||Metro Council||Yes|
|Mid Murray Council||Regional Council||Yes|
|Mitcham, City of||Metro Council||Yes|
|Mount Barker District Council||Regional Council||Yes|
|Mount Gambier, City of||Regional Council||Yes|
|Mount Remarkable, District Council of||Regional Council||Yes|
|Murray Bridge, Rural City of||Regional Council||Yes|
|Naracoorte Lucindale Council||Regional Council||Yes|
|Northern Areas Council||Regional Council||Yes|
|Norwood, Payneham and St Peters, City of||Metro Council||No|
|Onkaparinga, City of||Metro Council||Yes|
|Orroroo Carrieton, District Council of||Regional Council||Yes|
|Peterborough, District Council of||Regional Council||Yes|
|Playford, City of||Metro Council||Yes|
|Port Adelaide Enfield, City of||Metro Council||Yes|
|Port Augusta City Council||Regional Council||Yes|
|Port Lincoln, City of||Regional Council||Yes|
|Port Pirie Regional Council||Regional Council||No|
|Prospect, City of||Metro Council||No|
|Renmark Paringa Council||Regional Council||Yes|
|Robe, District Council of||Regional Council||Yes|
|Roxby Downs, Municipal Council of||Regional Council||Yes|
|Salisbury, City of||Metro Council||Yes|
|Southern Mallee District Council||Regional Council||Yes|
|Streaky Bay, District Council of||Regional Council||Yes|
|Tatiara District Council||Regional Council||Yes|
|Tea Tree Gully, City of||Metro Council||Yes|
|Tumby Bay, District Council of||Regional Council||Yes|
|Unley, City of||Metro Council||No|
|Victor Harbor, City of||Regional Council||Yes|
|Wakefield Regional Council||Regional Council||Yes|
|Walkerville, Town of||Metro Council||No|
|Wattle Range Council||Regional Council||Yes|
|West Torrens, City of||Metro Council||No|
|Whyalla, City of||Regional Council||Yes|
|Wudinna District Council||Regional Council||Yes|
|Yankalilla, District Council of||Regional Council||Yes|
|Yorke Peninsula Council||Regional Council||Yes|
CFS Permit Requests for councils without authorised officers – email@example.com